Upgrade of Gabčíkovo locks is co-financed by the European Union’s Connecting Europe Facility.
1. Upgrade of Gabčíkovo locks in a nutshell
Since the action “Upgrade of Gabčíkovo locks” deals with the most pressing issue on the Slovak stretch of the river Danube, it is necessary to make complex upgrade of both locks of Gabčíkovo. Subsequently, at the end of the project, the Gabčíkovo locks will be able to provide continuous and stable navigation conditions and ensure a safe passage through the locks. On the present conditions of the Gabčíkovo locks the time needed for shipping through both of the Gabčikovo locks is in average 45 minutes. By implementation of proposed action this time might be reduced at least in half (app. 20 minutes), in addition unexpected downtimes have blocked the entire Danube to a significant percentage during the last two years (16 days in 2012, 14 days in 2013 and 29 days in 2014) will drop to zero. Providing a good navigation status is one of the main objectives within the global project of the “waterway network within the multimodal Rhine – Danube TEN-T Core Network Corridor”. The “Upgrade of the Gabčíkovo locks” contributes substantially to the achievement of this goal. Extensive downtimes due to repair works and the availability of only one lock chamber at a time and repeated complete closures led to significant delays in inland waterway transport. In order to make this environmentally friendly mode of transport more competitive an upgrade of the lock and a revised operational concept has long been requested by shipping companies. Economically viable cargo services on the Danube and its navigable tributaries are highly dependent on stable and sufficient fairway conditions. By improving fairway conditions and by subsequently improving competitiveness of Danube navigation, the upgrade of the Gabčíkovo locks aims to take advantage of the full potential of the Danube navigation to support the growth of industrial activity and the creation of jobs in the Danube Region.
2. Overview of Upgrade of Gabčíkovo locks activities
Within Upgrade of Gabčíkovo locks, the following activities will be performed:
- Elaborate Final design for Upgrade of Gabčíkovo locks
- Elaborate a realisation concept for wind protection and mooring places
- Procure necessary equipment based on Final design in areas:
– Replace upper and lower gates
– Upgrade filling and emptying system
– Execute measures in order to stabilize the lock subsoil
– Replace expert control system
- Execute pilot operation of both locks
- Prepare recommendation for ensuring good navigation status
- Manage the project and disseminate its results
The activities within Upgrade of Gabčíkovo locks will in the long run contribute to the following specific objectives:
- Increase the efficiency, reliability and thus the competitiveness of the Danube waterway,
- Strengthen the sustainability of waterway transport between Slovakia and other countries of the Danube waterway,
- Ensure year-round navigability on the Danube waterway,
- Raise the safety of Danube navigation.
3. Key facts
- Project duration: February 2016 – December 2020
- Budget: EUR 144 665 000 €
- EU cofinancing: 122 965 000 €
- Project beneficiary : Ministry of Transport and Construction of the Slovak Republic
- Project Implementing bodies :
- ARVD – Waterborne Transport Development Agency
- VV, š.p. – Vodohospodárska výstavba, š.p.
ARVD as a leader of the Activity 1 – Project management and therefore in charge of Sub.Act.1.2. Communication and Dissemination has the overall coordination role.
Responsible person for communication and dissemination of project Upgrade of Gabčíkovo locks:
ARVD – Ing. Peter Vyžinkár, project manager
VV, š.p. – Mgr. Lenka Koprivová, project manager